Distance Learning and Correspondence Courses in India
Learning Courses in India
Distance Learning courses are offered at Graduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral (M.Phil. and Ph.D) and Certificate level. They are available for Arts, Science, Commerce, Education, Library and Information science, Journalism and Mass communication, Computers, Management, Agriculture, Law and Engineering.
|S.No||Level of Study||Eligibility||Duration||Selection|
|1||Graduation||10 + 2 or pass in BPP (in Open System)||3 years (Minimum)||On Merit|
|2||Post Graduation||Graduation||2 years (Minimum)||Entrance in most cases|
|3||Certificate||8th or 10th pass in most courses||3 to 6 months||On Seat Availability|
|4||Diploma||10 + 2 in most courses||6 months to 1 year||On Merit|
|5||PG Diploma||Graduation||1 year||On Merit|
|6||Doctoral||Post Graduation with work experience||2 years (Minimum)||Entrance in most cases or on Merit|
Correspondance courses in India are conducted by Open Universities under supervision of State Governments and DEC. There are distance education institutes and study centres in most of the Indian states apart from the central open universities. Distance Learning Courses pursued via a reputed university/institute holds significant value. Read about Distance learning in various states of India
Application Process for Distance learning Courses
Application process is easy. In which student can request application form from university in person or by post on payment of prescribed fees. Student can also download application form from university website or can obtain it from authorised study centre of the university. Then student can fill the application form keeping in mind the medium of study (English, Hindi or Regional Language). Filled application form along with attachments can be sent directly to university by post or can be submitted in study centre. The fees payable is mostly in the form of bank draft in favour of University.
Documents required for admission
- Attested copies of School / College Leaving Certificate and Academic Certificates (High School / 10 + 2 / Graduation / Post Graduation Mark Sheet as per eligibility requirement).
- Migration Certificate in Original (For students from other Universities than where applied)
- Passport size photographs duly attested
- Duly filled-in Address slips
along with self-addressed envelopes
- Admission fee (A/c Payee Demand Draft)
- Permission letter from the employer (if employed)
- Special Category Certificate. (if any)
There are distance education Study centres are in most of the Indian states. Some of the universities centres are localized in a single state and some of them have presence all over India.
Importance of Study Centres
- They help in providing basic information about courses
- They assist in admission process by
- providing application forms
- filling of the forms
- submission of the forms
- collection of fees
- They help in providing study material to the Students
- Solve student’s queries related to examination and understanding of study material by conducting personal contact classes
- Some study centres are equipped to hold practical classes for subjects requiring practical study.
- They also help in getting final certificates from the university.
- In totality they function as a link between University and the student.