Distance learning defined
Perhaps you’re already familiar with the concept of distance learning. As the name suggests, it’s all about learning from a distance. (Sometimes, this form of learning is also referred to as ‘e-learning’ or ‘online learning’.)
In practice, it involves studying away from your academic institution, usually from the comfort of your home.
The flexibility of distance learning makes it a popular, appealing option: you can study at your own pace, fitting your studies around your life.
For busy people, this form of learning is the ideal alternative to being physically on campus at a brick university.
Think of being ‘off-campus’ as the new ‘on campus’.
Think of The Open University as the university that comes to you.
Why distance learn?
Every day, we hear lots of reasons why potential students are considering distance learning with us:
- I’d like an English education, but I live abroad
- I’m seeking a respected UK qualification, but I live outside the UK
- I have a family to raise, and want to find a way of studying that fits around family life
- I’ve always wanted to study a particular subject, but I don’t wish to study full-time
- I’d like to return to academia and study while I work
- I’d like to improve or transform my career, and earn while I learn
In all these cases and more, online learning, with its inherent flexibility, is the ideal solution – and The Open University is the institution to provide it.
We’re the UK’s only university dedicated to distance learning.
Why distance learn with us?
Distance learning is what we do, and it’s what we’ve done for more than forty years, since being incorporated by Royal Charter in 1969.
Since then, we’ve educated more than two million students worldwide, earning us a well-deserved reputation as the world’s leading distance-learning provider.
It’s not just our decades of experience that make us experts.
Here are just some of the other reasons why people choose to study with us:
- We take your education seriously: an OU degree is equal in academic standard to a degree from any other British university.
- We care about our students: The Open University is regularly rated one of the best in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey.
- Our method works: we offer a method of learning that is unique to us, and uniquely successful. We like to think of it as the secret of our success – and yours.
For more reasons why people choose to study with us, read ‘Why The OU?’
We believe our track record makes us the world’s most trusted online learning provider by quite some distance. After all, with us you have the best of all possible worlds: the course you want, the flexibility you need and all the personal support necessary to succeed.
Learn more about our supported learning, as well as length of study and success stories.