Author: Lisa Nielsen
Go to Source
- Learn to think critically.
- Become a smart consumer of products and information.
- Recognize point of view.
- Create media responsibly.
- Identify the role of media in our culture
- Understand the author’s goal.
What innovative educators may not know is how to get started with teaching students about media literacy.
Key question resource grid
- Audience and authorship
- Messages and meaning
- Representations and reality
|Source: NAMLE Key Questions Chart|
Tips to Consider
Media literate people learn to ask themselves questions in each category. Showing students the questions is where you start. Next have a discussion with your students using the questions to discuss media keeping these two tips in mind:
- Questions may have many different answers.
- When sharing answers students should provide evidence sharing how they know what they know.