Go to Source
Recently, we explored how to manage the working relationship with subject matter experts. One of the key components is curating all of the existing resources. Here’s a free handout to help guide the conversation with subject matter experts and clients so that you get all of the resources you need to build the best courses possible.
What you need to curate is part of three core groups: existing training content, additional resources, and media assets.
Subject Matter Expert Checklist: Collect Existing Training Material
Make sure to get all of the existing training material. You’ll also need to figure out what to keep and what to discard. At some point you want to archive older material so there’s no conflict later when you need to update the course content.
Subject Matter Expert Checklist: Identify Additional Resources
There are all sorts of supporting resources such as product documentation, procedural manuals, and company policies. Not only do you want to identify what’s available, you want to make sure it’s up-to-date (get rid do old content), and find ways to integrate searching for and using the resources.
Subject Matter Expert Checklist: Pull Together All Media & Visual Assets
The organization often has branding requirements that may include imagery, colors, and typography. You need those. You also need any images, videos, audio, and whatever other media exists to support the training. If none’s available, make a list of what you need.
Often you can find relevant assets in marketing collateral, web sites, or shareholder annual reports.
This checklist is a great way to collect what you need and also help steer some of the conversation you’ll have with your subject matter experts and content owners.
Download the fully revised, free 63-page ebook: The Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Rapid E-Learning Pro
Upcoming E-Learning Events
- May 19-22 (Washington DC). ATD International Conference & Expo. Come by the booth and say hi.
- June 3 & 4 (Toronto). Articulate Roadshow: sign up for one day or two. Learn more and register here (early bird ends April 30).
- June 6 (Halifax). Articulate Roadshow. Register today (early bird ends April 30).
- July 24 & 25 (Minneapolis). Articulate Roadshow: Learn more and register here (early bird ends May 17).
- August 14 & 15 (Seattle). Articulate Roadshow: Learn more and register here (early bird ends May 31).
- November 4 (Manchester, UK). Articulate Roadshow: Learn more and register here (early bird ends October 4).
- November 5 & 6 (London, UK). Articulate Roadshow: Learn more and register here (early bird ends October 4).
- November 8 (Edinburgh, UK). Articulate Roadshow. Details coming soon.
- We’re currently working on additional locations and dates for 2019.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out