Go to Source
Even before I started working at Articulate, I made it a goal to answer five questions each week in the e-learning community. It’s a great way to connect with others, especially beginners, and offer some help as they’re learning.
However, for me, it’s a great way to stay on top of the tools as it forces me to think through the software in different contexts. It enables me to play around with different ideas and production techniques.
Here are three recent tutorials that I created to answer some questions in the community. The tutorials offer little bonus tips and focus on some production nuances that aren’t always apparent to new users. They’re good if you’re just getting started.
Here are the three files I used for the demos in case you want to look at them and follow along.
- Download here (3 MB)
E-Learning Tip: Simulate Right-Click Interactions on Mobile Devices
In this tutorial, we review how to go through software training on a mobile device when the software simulation requires the user to right-click which isn’t possible on a mobile device.
- Setting True-False variables to indicate if the user is on a mobile device
- Use variables to simulate right-clicking
- Showing/hiding objects based on variable values
E-Learning Tip: Combine Animations to Create Fast-Slow-Fast Animations
In this example, the question was how to make an object slow down when passing through another object and then speed up when it was done passing through.
- Create motion paths
- Set options
- Apply relative start points
- Relative animation
E-Learning Tip: How to Keep Objects Persistent and as the Top Layer
In this tutorial, we look at how to ensure that the custom course navigation is always on the top layer and not hidden when going to other layers.
- Launch layer based on timeline
- Create persistent layers on top of other layers
- Use empty layers to trigger and redirect
I usually do 5-10 of these tutorials every week. If they interest you and you want to see more, let me know.
Download the fully revised, free 63-page ebook: The Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Rapid E-Learning Pro
Upcoming E-Learning Events
- March 26-28 (Orlando). Learning Solutions Conference.
- April 10 (Madrid). E-Learning Workshop: workshop covers general e-learning topics and not tool-specific. Register now.
- April 12 (Milan). Digital Learning Tour: workshop will be in English. You can sign up for just my session if you don’t want the entire package.
- May 19-22 (Washington DC). ATD International Conference & Expo.
- June 3 & 4 (Toronto). Articulate Roadshow: sign up for one day or two. Learn more and register here (early bird ends April 30).
- June 6 (Halifax). Articulate Roadshow. Register today (early bird ends April 30).
- July 24 & 25 (Minneapolis). Articulate Roadshow: Learn more and register here (early bird ends May 17).
- August 14 & 15 (Seattle). Articulate Roadshow: Learn more and register here (early bird ends May 31).
- November 4 (Manchester, UK). Articulate Roadshow: Learn more and register here (early bird ends October 4).
- November 5 & 6 (London, UK). Articulate Roadshow: Learn more and register here (early bird ends October 4).
- November 8 (Edinburgh, UK). Articulate Roadshow. Details coming soon.
- We’re currently working on additional locations and dates for 2019.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out